The world’s most influential companies, committed to 100% renewable power.
RE100 is a global corporate leadership initiative bringing together influential businesses committed to 100% renewable electricity.
The initiative works to increase corporate demand for – and in turn supply of – renewable energy, by:
- Bringing together major companies committed to sourcing 100% renewable electricity globally in the shortest possible timeline (by 2050 at the latest);
- Setting the bar for corporate leadership on renewable electricity, holding members to account, and celebrating their achievements to encourage others to follow;
- Communicating the compelling business case for renewables to companies, utilities, market operators, policymakers and other key influencers;
- Highlighting any barriers to realizing the business and economic benefits of renewable electricity as reported by RE100 members;
- Working with RE100 members and in partnership with others to highlight and address policy and market barriers to corporate sourcing of renewable electricity.
Companies in the commercial and industrial sector account for approximately two thirds of the world’s end-of-use of electricity. Switching this demand to renewables is transforming the global energy market and accelerating the transition to a clean economy.
Companies joining RE100 set a public goal to source 100% of their global electricity consumption from renewable sources by a specified year. They disclose their electricity data annually, and we report on their progress.
Since RE100 was launched at Climate Week NYC 2014, the initiative has expanded across Europe, North America, India, and China, and we are now seeing rapid growth in areas such as Japan and Australia. Our members have operations all over the world and in a wide range of industries, from telecommunications and IT to cement and automobile manufacturing.
Both The Climate Group and CDP are part of the We Mean Business coalition, working to catalyze business action and drive policy ambition to accelerate the zero-carbon transition.